Monday, January 18, 2010

MAN vs FISH : ROHU-LIO Part I

Hi y'all.

Quite excited about this week's posting cuz it involves two of my major interests, Fishing and Eating. What a great weekend it was, Alhamdulillah. Enough small talk.

SO the stage was set in the mid-morning hours, the venue a small commercial fishing pond in Bangi (near the PLUS toll). Seeing as to how my freshwater kolam skills needed some help (especially the icky umpan-blending part), I enlisted the help of a couple of "consultants", whom I hereinafter will call Sifoo Ecol and Sifoo Kudik.

Sifoo Ecol had earlier instructed me to purchase the ingredients of his "super-secret kolam formulation", which consists of Dedak Ayam, Tepung Gandum and SOMETHING SECRET. He then proceeded to deftly mix in some water and started kneading the concoction into a consistent....err....consistency. While Sifoo Kudik (Ecol's lil bro) set about teaching me how to tie a "perambut mata bom!!!". But I was distracted by the umpan brewing that I missed a few steps and Kudik ended up tying it himself for everyone LOL!!

This umpan brew is magical. 5 seconds after it hit the water, I got my first hit, man...I shit you not! It was a Pacu, wrigling and gediking its way, trying to unhook itself. And guess what: due to the element of surprise and unreadiness on my part...it got away!!! Awwwwww......

But the rest of the morning really made up for it. I'd be sitting there, smoking and chatting with my consultants when....

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......suddenly my line would zip out and almost pull in my Rapala Rod.

Good thing I have the reflexes of a mongoose....wachaaaaaa!!!

In the end, I was able to pull in 3 good sized Rohu, which is the first time I have ever landed this type of fish. It looks like your typical freshwater fish, but not as shiny or colourful. But it's good eatin'!!!!! Hehehe more on the eating part after this...hehehehe

But no matter how good it is to eat, the thrill of catching a fish is AWESOME!!!! I may be preaching to the choir here, but after that first real fight you have with a most powerful fish (well, not so powerful laaaa...kalau powerful, masuk kolam la aku!!), that's it, man. You think that you've caught the fish, but in actual fact, ur HOOKED on fishing and there's no real way out, hehehehe.

The last Rohu was the biggest, about 2.5kg plus i think. In total, i hauled in 4.8kg of Rohu (YAAAAAAYYY)....oh, should anyone be interested, here's wot they look like hehehe.


That last one put up quite a fight! Good thing I didnt lose it....

HEHEEHE....and next, the EATING


Man Toman

3 comments:

  1. Cakap tak guna bai. Masak sweet sour and bawak lah ke opis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and Sour tak cun, ini ikan darat. Nanti kalau gua turun laut....gua bagi lu kerapu besar org punyah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wwoooo like the fish..masak lomak cili api....huh...

    ReplyDelete